Tau Stealth Team

My brother finished his Tau Stealth Team yesterday.  The box is actually an impressive value: three stealth team members with a few options, a markerlight drone with flying stand, and, as we found, enough spare pieces to build a sweet-looking objective marker.

In games this would run as a 3-man stealth team, a team leader/veteran with fusion blaster and target lock, and a drone with stealth field generator and a networked markerlight.

Easy Cardboard Terrain

Over Thanksgiving break we got a few things accomplished.  First, we built a Tau Stealth Team and used the extra pieces to make a cool objective marker.  The Stealth Team kit seems to have a fair about of extra objects well-suited for objective building.  We also put together two pieces of terrain, made only out of cardboard, masking tape, glue, sand and brown spray paint.  (We do plan to overbrush some green on, though.)  Here are some pictures of the new terrain:

The first piece was a basic ruined building, complete with windows, battle damage and some fallen debris.  The second piece was an area of hills/mounds/slight variation for the board.  I am exceedingly pleased with how easy it was to create this terrain – and quick, too.  Besides waiting for the glue and paint to dry, both pieces altogether took less than two hours to produce.  On the terrain you can see the undercoated contents of the Stealth Team kit – three team members, a markerlight drone, and the objective marker.

Finishing Troubles

As our efforts to finish the Tau continue, we gradually complete models and then plan to put some finish on them, to seal them and protect them.  The last time I did this the weather here was still very humid – and the models were terribly frosted!  We lost lots of color and effort.  But thanks to some helpful users on 40kOnline and The Round Table of Bretonnia, I was able to save them today.  Essentially, for this problem, I just sprayed them again, albeit in much better weather.  It completely fixed the issue.  Awesome!

Also today I built, based and undercoated some Men-at-Arms my brothers got me for my birthday.  The start of something glorious!  So included below are pictures of the Men-at-Arms, the saved Tau, and the color scheme plan for the two Men-at-Arms units (planned).

The two planned units are Baron Gilderaux’s Volgiers and the Spears of Sir Mattice.

Self-Build Contest: Ian’s and More

There’s little else like the completion of a project, and it gives me pleasure to bring to you the following three entries to the Self-Build contest (deadline coming up, see previous entry).  They were all painted with concerted effort this evening, and in the end, even though I was somewhat disappointed with the modeling of my own self-model, I think the paint job redeems it to me.  I hope the picture quality can convey the time spent on these models!

First, my own model.

ian

Of particular note for this model: the sculpted beard and hair, the sculpted giant pretzel (back of the base), and the sleeves are in a blue/black/gray camouflage scheme.  It’s also an important model for me because it marks the first time I’ve painted irises successfully (admittedly, though, I didn’t risk pupils).

Second, my brother Keenan’s (he’s Tau, just like his army):

keenan

Although it’s hard to see in this picture, on the right shoulder there’s a sculpted cockatiel that comes close to matching this Fire Warrior’s hair color.  The model is made up of various pieces from different ranges, including a Warhammer Empire militiaman torso, a Kroot satchel, and a decorative skull from the Assault on Black Reach set.  It’s painted in a scheme close enough that it could be used without shame in the owner’s Tau Empire army.  I’ll let you know, too, that besides the lack of a nose it does look quite like the artist himself.

Finally, I have a second submission, a model I made of my friend Tom (we don’t have to count it in the judging, for sake of fairness – maybe it’s just a good match for Andy’s outrageous character build earlier…).

tom1

Built primarily from Imperial Guard pieces, this model is perhaps the least directly representative of the individual it was built to render (sadly; and although I could blame it on a lack of appropriate bits I should also probably blame my unwillingness to sculpt parts from scratch).  I’d like to point out two things about this model.  First: yes, the flamethrower does have a bayonet attached.  Second, the object on the base is a turnip from Mario 2, custom-sculpted of course.  One could say Tom is a bit of a gamer.

As I mentioned before, I’m very pleased with how these three models turned out.

allside

allback

allfront

So, as Andy requested, let’s see some entries from our other readers!