Summer is historically a time when I get a lot of hobby work done. I finally gave in late last night and assembled (as in, got-out, not put-together) nearly everything I have primed and ready to be painted. My plan: slap some paint on everything, then finish them. Should be easy! Here are some pictures of the assembled masses….
First up – the Dystopian Wars section. I have a set of Uncharted Seas walls/towers which I think can be used for a variety of purposes and games systems. Besides the walls we have Canadian ground forces, a few Russian Coalition frigates (love ’em!), and the majority of my Independent Mercenary Company. Some of the small tanks have some basic colors on them already from a long time ago.
The next section is more varied. We’ve got Firestorm: Armada. We’ve got Warhammer Fantasy. We’ve got…. Warzone Resurrection? …Afterlife? Thank you Kickstarter for these one-offs!
Everything together. It is both imposing and not too bad. Spartan stuff always paints up fast…
These Knights of the Realm have been waiting to be painted for a long time. Behind them: mounted yeomen and a mounted prophetess.
Close up of the Dominion of Canada forces.
Close up of the Independent Mercenary Company units.
So, all told, this is what I’ve got on my painting station:
+ 4 stone Towers with cannon
+ 4 stone Walls with cannon
Dominion of Canada:
+ 6 Wolfe class Medium Tanks
+ 6 Archer class Flak Tanks
+ 21 Terrier class Small Tank bases (whew)
+ 6 pocket cruisers
+ 3 super destroyers
+ 2 assault escorts
+ 6 Novogorod class Frigates (yeah, baby!)
+ 1 Sentinel class Terran Cruiser
+ 1 Sorylian System Defense Monitor (custom build – counts-as Skyhammer)
+ 1 Spur class Battlecruiser (Terran Senator checking on the frontline?)
+ 4 Kopis class Sorylian Heavy Cruisers
+ 4 Bretonnian Knights of the Realm
+ 4 Bretonnian Mounted Yeoman
+ 1 Bretonnian Mounted Prophetess
+ 3 Bretonnian Men-at-Arms
+ Warzone: Resurrection Imperial Doomtrooper
+ Afterlife Unity Council Trooper (this one’s for you, Juan!)
Now that I write it all out, it does seem like an awful lot to paint…
Finally finished Sir Mattice Siebert, the Empathic Paladin of Artois, and Ariadny, Priestess of Shallya. Both are part of the large Men-at-Arms spear regiment (the “Spears of Sir Mattice”), of which I have complete no other models!
Painting white is always a drag, so I try not to worry too much about it. I didn’t want clean looking models on the battlefield, and Agrax Earthshade makes everything all right always and forever.
I have finished five more peasant bowmen for my Bretonnian army! These are painted in the colors of their lord, Earl Gilderaux, and match the Voulgiers (see them here). Perhaps they are castle archers?
Here are some pictures of the bowmen and two defensive stakes bases:
I also took two quick – and too dark – shots of everything I have painted so far. When I have more completed I’ll have to get them all out for some decent pics.
It has been over a year since I did any painting on my dauntingly-large Bretonnian Army (a muster from Artois, featuring Earl de Gilderaux, Baron Monguillot, Sir Mattice Siebert, etc.). This weekend I painted eight more Men-at-Arms with halberds – part of the Earl’s castle guard, armed with voulges.
The four voulgiers I had painted over a year ago clearly contrast the ones I painted this weekend. The big difference? I started using washes while in Ireland last summer. Between base paints and washes, painting these eight new men-at-arms went faster than painting the four old ones!
I am satisfied with the paint job on these peasants. It’s not perfect, but it’s progress, and there are many more Bretons to paint…
I stuck with the same base scheme as before, as I had built (but not painted) the eight new ones before using texture paints or static grass. I am not worried about having a variety of shades and bases in one unit…must…keep…moving…forward….
I have arrived back in the US, without getting the chance to say farewell to the guys at the GW store in Dublin. So thank you for the assistance!
I think I might have set a new record for myself this summer. I built, painted and sealed 44 models and built and primed another 2.
First, I started with a plastic Wight King, followed by some Skeleton Warriors (here and here). Next I painted a Finecast Wight King Battle Standard Bearer, and then Isabella von Carstein. Then, after quite a lot of work, I finished ten Grave Guard (here and here). For Aaron’s birthday I painted ten Gretchin and a Runtherder in his Blood Axe scheme. Finally, I finished ten more Skeleton Warriors, this time using a variety of Grave Guard bits to add some variety. One of the skeletons I built instead as a Grave Guard.
The two models I built and primed are two Bretonnian Damsels, which have yet to be painted.
School starts again in less than two weeks.
First progress in a while; finished my first three Bretonnian peasant bowmen. I tried a new technique on the faces using two tones, and I am very pleased with the results. I am not sure if it comes through in the pictures: Elf flesh and Dwarf flesh. A big improvement.
29 more (and eight defensive stake bases) to go!
I finally finished the first four Men-at-Arms and Pegasus Knight for my fledgling Bretonnian muster from Artois. This is the first time I’ve painted strong warm colors for an army.
I am very pleased with the first Pegasus Knight. I painted in sub assemblies, and when I put it all together it was a shock how awesome it looked. The Men-at-Arms are from the smaller of the two planned units, the red and yellow (and orange) marking them as Baron Gilderaux’s Voulgiers.