The fun stuff

Now last post I explained the “pre-color” or “pre brush work. Now we get dirty. (Kind of.) Here is where we left off:

Chaos Black primed Dreadnoght.

Now, this piece is a giant hunk of metal, so the first color we have to put down is a metallic silver.  We’re going to drybrush it on, with some heavy parts on the flat surfaces. This is so that when we paint it red, the metal will show through a bit. It also helps us choose what should be metallic later or not. This step shouldn’t take long, two quick passes should be perfect. If done correctly, by the time you get to the end of the piece, it’s ready for it’s next color. (Kids, that means start at the top and work your way down, then do it that way the entire time.) So once we have our plan, we coat with Mithril Silver, and it looks like this:

bigdsilvered.jpg

Like I said, quick. But it helps you visualize what the final piece will look like. I see that I definitly want the wires and such to be metalic, and that the piece is going to look (expletive deleted) cool when it’s done. Notice the heavier metallics on the “leg shields” and the left chest panel. This will make the red that is going to be on top come out brighter. Now, if I really wanted to make this look clean, I’d probably do the entire piece in silver, but clean isn’t the style I’m going for.

Now for the red. I have three major tips for this stage of the painting.

Tip 1: Save yourself time. Use a large brush.

Tip 2: Don’t worry if you get red where you didn’t want any. It can be fixed.

Tip 3: It’ll take a few coats to get it right. Make sure the previous coat is dry before you add another.

That’s really about it. Just go over the parts you’re going to want red. After three or so coats, it looks like this:

bigdred.jpg

Now we detail. We do bits here, bits there, different colors, whatever you like. For this one, I added a white “racing stripe” to the left chest panel by masking off the painting lane with tape. (Clear scotch tape at that.) Now, because of the bumps in the details it didn’t come out perfect. That’s okay with me. With that done, the piece now looks like this:

bigdpre-arms.jpg

Though it’s hard to see, I used Skull White, Mithril Silver, Fortress Grey, Bleached Bone, Boltgun Metal, and Shining Gold. Once this phase was done, I did the arms the same way. Then I had to dirty it up.

Now, this part is difficult to explain. The short story is, I had some 4 year old paints that had dried up a bit. I slowly added some water to reconstitute the paint. It’s kind of a sludge really. Then I just slop Tin Bitz on where I think the dirt should go, and it gives you a good dirty effect. Like so:

dnaughtpainted.jpg

Now all that’s left is the fine, nitpicky detailing. I haven’t actually done this yet, but it’s simply cleaning up his medals, and perhaps a quick ink wash. But as you can see, it’s not bad as is. That’s all I have for now, but I’ll have another post soon detailing my 500 pt. army.

Advertisements

6 responses to “The fun stuff

  1. Do you prefer white or silver as a brightening basecoat (after the initial black)? I think it’s pretty interesting you dry brushed so much silver, but I see the effect it gives at the end, and it looks pretty satisfying.

  2. I have to say, after several months since my first comment here, looking back I think this is a really good looking and impressive dreadnought. The white banding adds a lot to the finished image. As for a lascannon (AP2, double range of the assault cannon) combined with the dreadnought close combat weapon, I imagine it’s awesome for tank hunting and taking on vehicle squadrons…

  3. The las cannon and claw was originally a way to keep the Dreadnought versatile… when you’re working with a limited budget and low points, every piece has to pull double duty. Move pieces away from him? Las cannon. Swamp him? Claw/bolter.

    Now that I have a few more pieces, (including a dev squad sitting in a box) it may be time to solidify his role in the army. Or it may be time to get another, and really whomp on some fools.

    Finally, I should note that the arms are not glued on. One future project may be to magnetize the pieces so they don’t fall off in the middle of a battle. (Doesn’t happen frequently, but it’s a pain when it does.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s